Friday, October 3, 2014

Mint Harvest


Fall is here. The stinging, crisp wind of autumn has replaced the friendly summer breeze and playfully knocks the apples from the trees, creeps down my neck and into my sweater. I climb into the attic and pull back the curtains, letting the rays of sun trickle into the room like wild honey.  The mint I had gathered a few weeks ago has finished drying and is ready to take down. Carefully, I remove plant after plant and pile them into a basket. Downstairs, I hear my grandmother calling: the neighbors have heard that I'm harvesting mint; in a few minutes, I'm out the gate. The old lady across the street shuffles around her garden, pointing to patches of green, holding her scarf taught over her ears. I scuffle after her around with a knife and a bucket until all of the mint is cut back. Soon, the woman next door calls me over, and I run home for another bucket.

mint & lemon balm drying in the attic
I hung the newly acquired gifts on the balcony, save for the cuttings of one spearmint plant. The stems were strong and dark, the leaves sharp, bright and fragrant. It was in full bloom, its flowers gentle, the entire plant full of life and energy. There was only one thing to do: infuse it's magic.
Mint is a perennial herb which spreads very rapidly once established - it can be quite invasive if not looked after, which can be a good or a bad thing, depending on your goals. Mint grows up to two feet in height and has leggy, strong stems. Spearmint prefers moist soils and fresh sun, but can tolerate conditions that are not ideal as well. It should be cut back when mint first starts to flower - it can be dried for winter use or used fresh in recipes and infusions.

Mint, which is cooling in nature, has many beneficial properties and is one of the oldest and most widely used culinary herbs around the world. It is well known to aid digestion, eliminate flatulence and nausea, and to alleviate cramping;  it is a good thing to add to after dinner teas. Aside from being celebrated for it's anti-spasmotic and carminative properties, it is traditionally used to effectively treat headaches. In the winter, mint's antiviral properties can be particularly helpful in warding off cold and flu symptoms. It can be added to water, taken as a tincture, drank as a tea, or my favorite: infused in honey!

The process is quite simple. Chop up the mint, put it in a jar, cover it with honey, put it on a windowsill. Mint, honey, sunshine, and patience - it'll be ready just in time for winter, when it will be needed the most for adding to tea or just eating by the spoonful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment